We are also developing shape reconstruction by means of random pattern generated by a projector and acquired by means of a trinocular vision system.
The use of three cameras makes the system more robust to outliers while enlarging its field of view.
The steps of the algorithm we are developing are:
– image acquisition
– features extraction invariant to scale and rotation
– encoding of a vector of properties for each feature
– search for correspondence between images
– validation of correspondence by means of epipolar geometry
– triangulation by means of the three cameras and building of the points cloud
In the upper picture the camera setup, in the middle one the images of a glove inflated acquired by the three cameras, in the last an example of reconstruction. The surface is reconstructed by means of a certain number of selected features for each image. Those features represent each pixel whose local information is higher than a certain threshold level.